Here are some interesting alternatives to the far too overdone skinny jeans that could be worn with tunics, long shirts or even a nice tee:
1) Cropped pants, simple and sophisticated
2) Patterned stockings too add that bold, definitive edge
3) Tights - simple, classy and timeless
When not to wear skinny jeans:
1) when you're wearing a top that only barely reaches your hips
2) with a tight fitting tee and ballerina flats, only because its the imagination-less woman's default day-gear.
3) when you need to pretend you have curves. There's nothing more depressing than seeing straight lines all over a woman. Flares add the illusion of boot-eh, so swear by it.